How to cross the border from Indonesia to Papua New Guinea

You may also like...

7 Responses

1. Tom says:

Hi Max, How are you?

We crossed the border about a month ago, stayed two weeks in PNG, obtained Indonesian VISA and crossed back. I’d say not much has changed and the border crossing is still not stable (could be closed due to weather or tensions between two countries).tfac

We are more than happy answer any questions, if someone needs help 🙂
    Most help we got, was from the homestay we stayed night before going to PNG.

Read more about our experience: http://tomplusveronica.com/report-png-visa-and-crossing-from-jayapura-indonesia-to-vanimo-png-and-back/

2. Max Jamilly says:

Hi Tom – thanks for the great update! I’m very glad to hear that you made it across the border without significant problems. Hopefully the border will get more stable in time.

Your blog looks brilliant. I can’t wait to read more! Look out for some photos and articles about my time in PNG soon. 🙂

3. Hi everyone,

Small update for the border crossing: all easy now.
    You can go there by bemo by Jayapura then hitch-hike from Koya or charter a bemo (public taxi) for around 150,000 rupiahs. Indonesia has just opened a new border office and you can reenter directly (from an used VOA to a visa exemption, for the French guy that I am). Getting a PNG visa in Jayapura was easy too, and I have got it in 24h.

Just one point more, Vanimo is very expensive for foreigners, as mostly business men and civil servants go there: cheapest hostel (Vanimo Beach Hotel) was about 90 US dollar a night: 1.1m Indonesian rupiahs. And no hanging out by night, because of spirits and drunk people. But water is amazing and there is a small cave with skulls, cross and bones just before Indonesian border, on the seashore. I have had the pleasure of meeting a forester to discover the area.
    In a nutshell, it is expensive, very original with locals and militaries, long and unforgettable.

I have done it by your post, so thanks a lot. Very cool of you.

Yours Sincerely,

Nicolas

4. Max Jamilly says:

Salut Nicolas! Thanks for your awesome hints. What brilliant news that the crossing is no longer such an ordeal. Did you continue further east into PNG?

5. Astrid says:

Thanks everybody for your update which is so important, as it is soo difficult to get any information beforehead! I am planning to cross the border on a saturday, but I did organise a visa for png beforehead.. so i should not need to get one in jayapura.. at least this is what people promised me… so i just wonder if you know if the border is also opened on saturdays? thanks again for your help! cheers astrid

• Max Jamilly says:

Hey Astrid – great to hear from you. Unfortunately I don’t know whether the border is open on Saturdays. If you’re already in Jayapura, you could try asking at the police office or calling the PNG consulate. Let us know what you find out! Good luck 🙂

• Astrid says:

Hey max! Thanks for your reply! Well everybody told me that the boarder should open on Saturday .. lets see! But they told me also that I ll need an exit stamp even if I already have my visa for png and a normal one ( so no visa on arrival) which I only get in the migration office..and this I do not know wether it is open on Saturday ..I wonder if I can not get the stamp right at the boarder ..well as usual nobody knows..but I ll keep you updated..I ll be there beginning of September..cheers astrid